6 Best essential oils for dry skin this winter
by Aarti Kapur Singh
This winter, give your dry skin a gentle rub of best essential oils available in the market!
Scaly, rough and flaky – that is how even the softest skin begins to feel as soon as the air gets nippy. Cold winter air depletes the natural moisture from the skin and room heaters worsen the problem. Besides the cold, winter months also bring many skincare challenges. Dry skin needs some extra attention. Essential oils are a type of oil that is extracted from a variety of aromatic plants. You can use essential oils alone or along with other remedies to keep yourself and your family healthy during the winter months.
1. Lavender Oil: Lavender is definitely one of the most popular essential oils and it has antibacterial, antidepressant and anti-inflammatory effects. This oil is especially helpful in clearing up a stuffy nose, making it ideal for allergies and minor illnesses like the common cold. It can also help break up congestion when you add five drops to your humidifier each day.
2. Carrot Seed Oil: Carrot seed essential oil has a rejuvenating effect on the skin. It not only works to help smooth skin, but assists with cell regeneration. For this reason, it can help to fade scars and improve the tone of aging skin.
3. Frankincense Oil: Frankincense has immune-boosting and purifying properties which can help to prevent you from getting sick during the winter season. Since this is the prime time to catch the common cold or influenza, using frankincense regularly is a good idea so that you can get through the season without getting sick. When combined with frequent hand washing, you will find that your immune system is stronger and that you are more resistant to illness.
When the days start to get shorter during this season, some people find themselves feeling a bit down and their energy is not as high as it is during the summer months. Frankincense helps to improve your mood and alleviate anxiety. It also helps to relax you so that you can sleep.4. Cedarwood Oil: Known for its moisturizing and softening abilities, Cedarwood is perfect for soothing skin in the winter and is a non-drying oil, so can be used on either dry or oily skin. The antibacterial properties of this essential oil make it helpful for acne prone skin. Cedarwood oil is also effective for tightening the facial skin and giving it a youthful appearance. Cedarwood can be applied topically, but should also be diluted for very sensitive skin. Put a few drops in a diffuser and your home will smell like pristine woods in the hills. Women who are pregnant should not use cedarwood essential oil. If used in high concentrations, cedarwood essential oil can cause skin irritations.
5. Rose Essential Oil: Rose essential oil is especially great for dry or aging skin. Researchers have found that it contains several therapeutic compounds known to promote healing, especially antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory compounds. As a result, rose essential oil helps refine skin texture and tone, and can be helpful with managing skin conditions such as psoriasis and dermatitis.
6. Helichrysum Oil: Helichrysum is the only essential oil known to contain certain di-ketones which help heal scars and wounds and is an effective defense against free radicals, so it’s perfect for use to repair and prevent future damage to the skin. Dilution is not required for topical use, so 2 to 3 drops can be applied to a cotton ball or directly to the affected area.
Box: How to use essential oils?
- Don’t apply the oils directly onto your skin.
- Mix 2-3 drops of one or any three oils with a carrier oil (such as almond, castor, olive or argan oil and massage into your skin, especially the pulse points).
- You can even add the oils to your bath water.
- Inhale essential oils that combat sore throat and congestion such as peppermint or lemon.
- ALL-IN-ONE winter oil recipe: Make an unbeatable massage-cum-bath oil by mixing four drops each of Eucalyptus, Myrrh, Lavender, Frankincense, Bergamot, Ginger, Rosemary and Helichrysum Oil with half a cup each of castor, grapeseed and olive oil. Warm it a little bit before every use and winter will never leave its signs on your skin or hair!
You might also like: