by Chandani Karnik
Simple skin related tips that will help get clear skin
Yes we know, perfectly clear skin sounds unbelievable. But when you read the tips we have brought you, you will see that it’s these simple things that go a long way in keeping your skin flawless.
1. First step is to start using a sunscreen. Apply it on your face and neck at least 20 minutes before you step into the sun. Re-apply every 2-3 hours if you spend a lot of time outside. Look for a matte-effect sunscreen if you have an acne problem.
2. Next step is to follow the simple mantra of cleanse, tone and moisturize. Wash your face with a face wash that suits your skin type. Follow up with a toner which helps remove the impurities from your skin which cause pimples and closes your pores. Finish off with a moisturizer that suits your skin type. This seals in the moisture into your skin so that you can retain your glow.
3. Give your skin a rosy break. Use rose water as a toner or just apply it on your face from time to time. It’s completely healthy and free from any side effects. The best part is, it is suitable for all skin types. It siphons out the extra oil and keeps your skin clear.
4. At the end of the day, make sure that you take off your make-up before you go to sleep. The ideal process is to use a make-up remover to take off your make-up. Then wash your face with a face wash, use a toner and apply a night cream before you go to sleep. Keeping your make-up on will cause your skin to break out, so beware!
5. Always keep your pillow covers and face towels super clean. Wash your pillows once a week at least. The oil and dirt from your face accumulates on the pillow covers and can cause acne.
6. While you are on this cleaning spree, it’s a good idea to clean out your make-up brushes as well. If they are not cleaned from time to time, the pigments and chemicals get stuck onto the brushes and can cause further skin problems.
7. Treat your skin to steam treatment once in ten days. The steam opens up your pores and rids your skin of the excess oil. Regular steam treatments will keep your skin glowing and free from impurities. But doing it too often, may cause your skin to dry out.
8. Although steam is superb for your face, hot water is not. Weird, right? And yet, that’s how it works. So when you wash your face, make sure you keep the water warm or room temperature. You can be excused if you dip a washcloth in hot water and place it on your face once in a while. But for regular use, say no to hot water! The heat can cause you skin to crack and dry, leaving angry red patches.
9. When you dry your face, always PAT it dry with a towel. Rubbing your face with a towel is probably the worst thing you can do. This can rid your face of the oil it needs and cause irritation in the long run.
10. Make sure your skin care products are free from additional fragrances. These are a serious source of skin problems, which most of us cannot trace. You can choose to consult a dermatologist to decide which products suits your skin. When you apply them on your face, always use upward strokes. This prevents your skin from sagging and forming wrinkles.
11. If you have dandruff, make sure you get some treatment. Minuscule dandruff flakes often invade your skin (especially the patch which is in direct contact with your hair line). Keeping your dandruff in control will go a long way in keeping your skin looking clear.
12. While you’re at it, keep your hair away from your face by tying a ponytail. The oil from your scalp and your hair can also seep onto your skin giving you white heads or worse.
13. Your sleep routine and exercise are an integral part of skin care. Getting 8-9 hours of sleep every day is extremely important or else you may suffer from unsightly dark circles. Lack of sleep also causes your skin to wrinkle quicker. Exercise makes your skin sweat, which in turn means that your skin is breathing. Just ensure you wash your face before and after you work out.
14. Ensure that your diet is altered to fit the requirements of your skin. Look for foods which are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids like nuts and fish and include them in your daily diet in small quantities.
15. Drinking lots of water is non-negotiable. Water cleanses your system and helps you release toxins which cause your skin to break out into acne. Also, keep in mind that your skin gets the moisture it needs from the water you drink. So drink about 2 liters of water every day.
16. Berries are rich in nutrients which help bring a glow to your skin without increasing your sugar intake. Excess sugar increases a risk of acne. So when your sweet tooth gets very demanding, just reach for the berries instead.
18. If you happen to be a smoker, quit! If all the health risks are not enough for you to kick the butt, the effect of smoking will make you drop it, we swear! Smoking will make your skin age much quicker than it should.
19. For emergencies (like a late night or a hangover) keep a bottle of soy milk in your fridge. Soak your skin with soy milk to remove the bags under your eyes and reduce the redness and patchiness of your skin. The temperature of the soy milk refreshes your skin and it gives your skin a strong protein dose.
20. A long lasting remedy for dark spots and dark circles is to break open a capsule of vitamin E in your regular night cream. Apply generously on your face after you wash it, to help reduce the blemishes visible on your face!
You might also like: