by Ila Mishra
We bring to you the art of ayurvedic treatment for each part of your body so that you can glow and look pretty from outside and healthy from within.
We all love natural treatments for the skin. There is a misconception that ayurvedic treatment are hard to make at home. They have a lot of complicated ingredients that people cannot find at home or are difficult to source. We bring to you these simple remedies for each part of your body so that you can glow and look pretty from outside and healthy from within.
Your Ayurvedic body type – Essential for Skincare
These remedies are not complicated. However, for best results the recommended time for keeping it on the face/other parts of the body must be followed. Also, unlike other medicine systems, ayurveda believes that not only outer cleansing is required but also internal cleansing. Depending upon which ayurvedic body type you have (Vata, Pitta, Kapha); you should take care of your diet accordingly.
What we eat shows up on our skin – excess oil, pimple, acne, liver patches on the face, brittle nails are symptoms of diseases brewing in our body. We recommend that diet and remedies should be followed together.
- Drinking 1 teaspoon of amla powder mixed in water twice a day – in morning and evening helps
- Apply a paste of fresh neem leaves on the face for 10 to 15 minutes. In case you cannot get neem leaves you may soak powdered neem in warm water for 15 mins to make a paste and apply.
- Mix sandalwood powder with rose water and and make a paste. Apply it over the skin and face and keep this over the face at least 30 minutes. Then wash with water. Very good for acne vulgaris.
- To remove acne scars, take mint leaves and grind them. Us a cloth to extract juice. Apply directly on scars and wash with water after 20 minutes.
Liver Patches /Vitiligo —
- Mix 5 teaspoons of haldi powder in 250 ml of mustard oil and apply on the white patches of skin, twice a day, usually advised for a period of 12-15 months.
Dry Skin —
- Mix half tablespoon of honey to 1-2 tablespoon of rose water. Application of this paste helps in cleansing the skin and moisturizing it on a daily basis.
Oily Skin —
- Boil neem leaves and strain the infused water. Let it cool and you may wash your scalp and face. In case if it’s too strong, wipe face off with warm water.
- Place thin slices of apple on face for 15 minutes.This removes excess oil from face.
White Heads & Black Heads —
- Peel and mash a small tomato. Apply the paste on whiteheads and blackheads and leave it overnight. Wash face with warm water in the morning.
- Wash your face with warm water. Squeeze the juice of one lemon and add a pinch of salt to the juice. Apply to blackheads and white heads. Leave for 20 minutes and wash with warm water.
- To brighten your skin, a paste of haldi powder, raw milk and tomato juice should be made. Leave this paste on your face and neck for 30 minutes and remove with lukewarm water.
- Making a paste of genda phool or marigold flowers with raw milk and 1 tablespoon of honey can help heal pimples and make your skin glow.
- Soak a cotton ball in milk and dab it on to your eyebrows.
- Massage some coconut oil on your eyebrows to thicken it.
Dark Circles —
- Dip cotton pads in fresh chilled cucumber juice and place them over your eyes for 15 minutes. Add the juice of a potato to make the cucumber juice more effective.
- Take 2 tsps of turmeric and add a little bit of sugarcane juice to make a paste. Let this mixture rest for 5 minutes before you apply it under your eyes. Let the applied paste rest for 15 minutes on the dark circles and wash off.
Bleaching the facial skin —
- Apply potato juice/grated/sliced directly on your face for 10 mins. It is a mild and natural bleach which imparts glow to the skin.
Ubtans for excess body hair —
- Take 1 bowl potato (peeled and crushed), 1 bowl yellow lentil, 1 tbsp honey, 4 tbsp lemon juice, 1 sieve or thin cloth to filter juice. Soak the yellow lentil in water overnight. In the morning, grind the lentil into a paste. Take the peeled and crushed potatoes and sieve the juice. Add honey, lemon, and potato juice to yellow lentil paste and mix well. Apply this paste to those areas of your body where you want the hair to lessen. Leave it for 15-20 minutes or till the time it dries off. Once it dries, remove the paste by rubbing it by a cloth or with your hands. The dried ubtan will help in removing hair.
Thanaka & Kusum Oil paste – Thanaka is a paste made from the bark of a tree that originally is found in Myanmar. Thai women have used it for centuries to make ubtans to enhance their beauty. Kusuma Oil can be ordered online or get it from an Ayurvedic shop in your locality.
After you have either waxed or shaved your body hair, prepare the paste. Mixing the thanaka and Kusuma oil, keep the consistency thick. Whichever part of the body you want to get rid of the hair, you must apply the paste on those areas. Leave it on for 3 to 4 hours or leave this paste overnight. You may apply a little Kusuma oil every time your skin feels dry. You need to repeat this process for at least 100 days to make hair go away permanently. Please note: you can apply it on consecutive days or alternate days.
Ubtans for glowing skin —
- Take 4 tbsp of gram flour or besan, 1 teaspoon of turmeric or haldi, 1 tablespoon of sandalwood powder or chandan, 1 table spoon of milk and few drops of rose water. Mix all these together in a lump less paste. The consistency should not be too thick or too runny. Make double the quantity of the paste in case you would like to apply on your body. Once applied, let the paste dry and then wash it with warm water.
Ubtan for lightening skin —
- Mix 4 tablespoon of besan, 2 tablespoon of milk powder, 2 tablespoon almond powder, a pinch of turmeric, 1 tablespoon milk cream, 2 tablespoon lemon juice, few drops of olive oil and few drops of rose water. Let it dry for 20 mins. Remove by massaging. Take bath with luke warm water.
Lighten elbows and knees, underarms & bikini area —
- 1 tablespoon of yogurt, 1 whole lemon juice, add milk powder to thicken the paste and apply it on your problem areas for 20-30 min.
- Apply fresh lemon juice over affected area for an hour and wash it off with normal water.
Stretch marks —
- Regular massage of coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil.
- Take the juice of one lemon and add a tablespoon of honey. Mix well. Massage this daily at least 30-40 minutes before bath.
- Health of your nails is indicative of how well your body is absorbing nutrients. For example, white marks on your nails points towards calcium deficiency, vertical ridges on your nails show that proteins are not being absorbed by your body and brittle nails are one of the first symptoms of hypothyroidism. Following diet recommendations by Ayurveda helps.
Dry hair/hair fall —
- Take 2 tbsp coconut oil and add 5-6 curry leaves. Heat the mixture for 2-3 minutes. When the oil has cooled you may apply on your scalp. A hot water towel (with water wrung out) is to be wrapped around your hair for 15 minutes.
- Use warm coconut oil – leave it for one or two hours. Wash with lukewarm water with mild shampoo and conditioners.
Hair growth/thicken thin hair —
- Soak fenugreek or methi seeds overnight. Grind to make a paste. Apply on scalp and leave it for 45 minutes. Wash with a mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Mix 2-3 teaspoons of coconut oil with 1 teaspoon of Indian gooseberry (amla) juice. Each day gently massage your scalp with this concoction.
- A mixture of 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon mustard oil, and 1 cup yogurt must be applied to the hair for half an hour to 1 hour.
Hair with lice —
- Take the juice of at least 7 onions and apply this on the head. Keep it on for at least one hour and then wash it off with plain water.
Grey hair —
- Mix 300 ml of coconut oil with 30 gms of roughly powdered black pepper. Heat this combination for 2 to 3 minutes. Strain it through a muslin cloth carefully and let the oil cool. Apply regularly like normal oil. Ensure you do not have open lesions or pimples on your scalp before applying.
Recommendations for bath —
- Ayurveda recommends oiling of the body before a bath. Use water which is neither hot nor cold. Gently wash of soap/cleanser with a wash cloth or sponge. Apply organic rose water after your bath. Practise deep breathing during your bath. Bathing should be a relaxing experience.
Expert recommendations: A must
As Ayurveda is a wholesome system of treatment, it is very effective in removing root causes of diseases. Ayurveda truly helps in cleansing from the inside out. The treatment is never complete without dietary changes and yoga. Yoga helps in relieving stress – which is one of the major reasons why the body’s functioning becomes unbalanced. An exercise regime helps relieve constipation, excess heat and fat in the body. One must also take care of drinking plenty of water during the day – at least 8-10 glasses. We have given very simple remedies here which you can easily follow at home. With an Ayurvedic expert’s guidance you will be able to achieve an understanding of why your body is facing certain problems. Other medicine systems are a shortcut but Ayurveda, despite the time it takes, heals the body completely.
You might also like –