Meet Gursewak Singh, who is also known as a creative guy with the magic brush! As a part of our ‘Makeup Artists‘ program, we bring to you our first post from the series.
Delhi based Gursewak Singh has earlier worked with MAC and is now a freelance Makeup Artist. He is passionate about colors and beauty. Be it brides or models, Singh is known for his simple yet stunning makeup looks that make them look even more gorgeous. This gentleman has also got a great sense of humor. So, let’s take a sneak peek into his life and get to know him and his work better!
1. What is a day in the life of Gursewak Singh like?
My day starts with makeup (reading, watching videos) and ends with makeup.
2. Have you always been a makeup artist? Did you have another career(s) before doing makeup full time?
Yes, makeup has been my first and last love after I finished college. I’m a full-time freelance makeup artist.
3. What is the difference between applying makeup for a TV/film shoot and applying makeup for a bride?
Makeup has become very simple and real these days. There was one point of time when makeup meant layering foundations on your face. But over time trends have changed drastically. The only difference I feel is that the “lighting “for TV/films is different and for brides is more real.
4. Tell us a bit about your most memorable experience while working for a celebrity/client?
5. How well do you think you have been able to strike a balance between your work life and personal life?
So far I guess I have been able to achieve a great balance between my professional and personal life.
6. What do you think about the Indian beauty industry and how has it changed over a period of time?
Social media is one of the important factors in bringing about a revolution in the beauty industry. People are more aware of what they like and what they want. It has definitely changed our beauty industry in terms of hair, makeup and beauty treatments. Customers are well educated about the products and services. At some point being a makeup artist I feel this change has been very helpful.
7. How would you describe your signature look and what is it about your style that sets you apart from other makeup artists?
My signature look is simple, with a ‘less is more’ policy yet glamorous. Makeup is all about enhancing the features, not painting layers.
8. What are some common beauty mistakes that women make?
Wanting to look lighter than what their original complexion is is the most common mistake that I have come across. People till today have an obsession of looking white!
The next big mistake I have noticed is drawing the eyebrows with a pencil and not blending it. This leaves harsh lines and looks most unnatural. The third blunder that many women make is not taking off their makeup before going to bed! Remember, your skin needs to breathe, and the best time for it to do that is when you are asleep.
9. Who are some people that have inspired you throughout your career?
Mickey Contractor and Dany Sanz are two people who inspire me everyday.
10. What advice would you like to give to someone who is aspiring to be a makeup artist? Basically, with the competition getting tougher, how can one still pursue the career despite all the challenges?
If you are good and passionate about what you do, no one can stop you!
Take a look at his gorgeous makeup looks:
You might also like: