by Aarti Kapur Singh
For an overnight beauty regime, follow these 7 simple home remedies based on our good old petroleum jelly!
Petroleum jelly has been around for a century and a half. Yes, a 150 years!! That in itself is proof of how much it is loved by people. And not without reason. You might be surprised of all of the things it can do for you. Petroleum jelly is a multitasking miracle cream, and if you aren’t a fan of its slightly sticky texture, the best thing is to use it overnight to let it work its magic. Contrary to what you may think, petroleum jelly doesn’t block skin pores, making it OK to use as a face cream without worrying about clogged pores. (Still, if you’re acne-prone, talk to your dermatologist before doing this.) Here are a few ways in which petroleum jelly will redefine ‘beauty sleep’ for you:
1. End of Day Scrub: Mix a handful of petroleum jelly with sea salt and slough off those unsightly winter skin flakes away. If you’re looking to exfoliate your whole body, use more Vaseline and substitute kosher salt for the sugar—the larger grains will be more effective on rough body skin. Come out of the shower a soft and silky Venus!
4. Nifty Nails: Apply a dab of petroleum jelly to fingernails to keep them resilient while also keeping cuticles soft and healthy. Actually you could smear some all over your hands, for that matter. Put on a pair of cotton gloves and you’ll end up having the world want to eat out of your hands.
5. Fur-soft peds: Apply petroleum jelly on your feet before putting on socks and wear overnight to help achieve smooth feet and toes.
6. Extra soft and white elbows: Often our elbows are at least three shades darker than the rest of our skin. Simply make a paste of a teaspoon each of petroleum jelly and glycerine and add the juice of a lemon to it. This can be stored in the fridge for a fortnight. Massage a dab into your elbows for 5 minutes every night before sleeping. You will see results in less than a month.
7. Body cocoon: Want to give your body an overnight makeover? Take a bowl of petroleum jelly and mix half a cup of olive oil to it. Rub some into damp skin after a warm shower. Apply another layer after the first one is half-absorbed. Wake up to find as though your skin has grown a new softer layer.
You might also like: