by Richa Sharma
Here are 10 beauty hacks on how to do your own wedding makeup in a jiffy!
Picked up the most gorgeous outfit for your big day? Zeroed down on the most exquisite neck piece? So you’re left with makeup now. And for those of you who’re keen on doing their own makeup, we’ve got you 10 smart tips on how to do your own bridal makeup. Just follow these tips and rest assured you’re going to look nothing short of spectacular.
1. Cleansing Toning Moisturizing: CTM is one thing we would recommend not just on your big day, but on a daily basis a few weeks prior to it as well. So begin your bridal makeup by cleansing your face with a mild cleanser to remove all traces of dirt and oil from your face. Follow up with a toner and finally a moisturizer for that extra bit of hydration and nourishment.
2. Primer: Prep your skin with a primer to keep your makeup intact and help it last through the whole wedding. Apply a primer, two minutes post moisturizing your face and blend it well into your skin.
3. Concealer: Now which bride doesn’t want to look flawless and radiant on her big day? But those dark circles, pimple scars and pigmentation can ruin your look. Don’t worry, a simple solution to all these problems is a concealer. So dab on some concealer on your under eye area, blemishes or any other areas that are a concern for you, before applying the foundation for a clear looking, even toned skin.
4. Foundation: Now choosing the right foundation for your face can be slightly tricky. We recommend, you pick a water based foundation that’s just one tone lighter than your complexion. Apply it evenly onto your face, neck, ears and other exposed areas with a makeup sponge and use your finger tips to blend it seamlessly into your skin. Follow with a thin veil of compact powder to set your foundation.
5. Highlighter: Use a liquid highlighter on the high points of your face like the cheekbones, bridge of the nose, Cupid’s bow etc. Highlighters reflect light onto your skin, giving it a subtle gleam and luminescence. Go for a highlighter with a gold undertone to go with your ethnic attire.
6. Blush: Because you’re the bride, and we want you to be looking all nice and bright, we would suggest a rosy pink blush for you. Just suck in your cheeks and with the help of a blush brush apply it onto the apple of your cheeks in swift upward motion towards the ears.
7. Bronzer: For those of you who want to look chiseled and sharp in photographs, we highly recommend contouring with a bronzer. So pick up an angular brush and apply the bronzer on the sides of the chin on the jawline, both sides along the nose bone, near the ears etc.
8. Eye shadow: Now comes the eye makeup. These days most brides prefer a dramatic eye makeup for their big day in hues of gold, bronze, copper etc. So begin with filling your lid with a metallic gold. Next up, pick up a slightly pigmented brown and apply it to the outer ‘<‘ of your lid starting from the inner corner of your natural crease to give your eyes a subtle smokey eye effect. Don’t forget to highlight your brow bone with some shimmery gold. If you have sparse eyebrows, then use a brown or taupe eye shadow to fill in the gaps and give them a fuller look.
9. Eyeliner and Mascara: Go for an exaggerated graphic eyeliner style like the wing tipped eyeliner to add some more drama to your eyes, followed by a thick kajal on the water line. Use a voluminizing mascara to give your eyelashes a fuller look. You could choose to go for false eyelashes too, but make sure you’ve tried using them a couple of times before the wedding day. And only use a waterproof eyeliner and mascara as Indian weddings are supposed to be an emotional affair and worrying about a smudged eyeliner should be the last thing on your mind.
10. Lipstick: Statement lips are huge with all the brides these days. So go for shades of reds, plums, berry and marsala which is the hottest color this season. Do consider the color of your lehenga, while choosing the lipstick shade. So begin with dabbing on some lip primer or foundation on your lips. This helps your lipstick stay put and also makes the color look more vivid. Next up, line your lips with a lip liner, followed by filling in your lips with the color of your choice. Now blot your lips with a blotting paper and apply another layer of lipstick onto them. This technique prevents feathering and helps your lip color last longer.
Remember your wedding day is the biggest day of your life, and we don’t want to leave any scope for error on D-day. So it’s highly recommended that you practice and try out 2-3 different looks beforehand and decide what looks best on you for the big day.
You might also like: