by Aarti Kapur Singh
Leather is sizzling hot! So, let’s find out how to flaunt it through our trendy winter outfits
There’s more to leather than it being just so amazing a fashion statement. It is just as functional too. Real or faux, it is the perfect transition fabric that you can sport from winter to spring with ease. It does double duty before we break out heavy winter pieces such as chunky sweaters and oversize coats.
1. Leather Skirts: Leather skirts are cool, period. And they add the masala of edge to any outfit. Whether paired with a tucked-in flannel or shrunken sweatshirt and a pair of sneakers, a simple white tee and a pair of ankle boots, or a tailored blouse and spiffy loafers, there’s a way to style a black leather skirt for the change in seasons that anyone can get into. Every fashionista should own a slimming leather (real or faux) pencil skirt. Paired with a white button-down or a patterned top, there’s no doubt you’ll look super chic, polished, and put together.
Besides, an edgy pencil skirt can turn you into a fashion chameleon to morph from work to play in a matter of seconds! It is a refreshing idea to adopt without making you stray too far from your comfort zone. Pair with a classic shoulder bag, ankle-strap heel, and a large cuff (or even a menswear-inspired watch), and you’ve an office-appropriate and yet trendy look. Simply add a few accessories and bright lipstick to become happy-hour ready.
2. Leather & Lace: Opposites attract, and are attractive. Heard about how salt always pairs great with pepper, sugar with spice and so on? Similarly, leather looks great with lace – not too much, but just a hint. A delicate touch here and there – perhaps to stay connected with your feminine side.
3. Leather Shifts: Taking cue from tough femininity, leather shifts have become popular with celebs to flaunt their million dollar curves. Though classic black is the favored color, we don’t see any reason why other colors will not notch up in these onesies.
4. Colors and Hues: Colored leather is the new must-have this season. The colors to opt for are burgundy, violets and reds while the silhouettes are skinny jeans, tap shorts, form-fitting midis and even t-shirts.
5. Pants: Leather pants are super sexy and are not reserved only for rock stars and bikers at all. If Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Karlie Kloss are favoring it, this trend is here to stay for a while. With a range of styles from leggings to wide-leg trousers, they bring a polished edge to any look. Since the real deal can burn a large hole in your back pocket, faux leather pants or leggings will do just right. Do bear in mind that the wetter they are, the better they are. Also, they shouldn’t be tight. Break out of the just black mold and pick up colored leather for your legs. Instead of getting into head-to-toe leather mode, temper your shiny legs with a loose cotton sweater or go for some leather and lace mod/fem contrast by paring the pants with a girly blouse. Take a cue from Gwen Stefani – she is said to have leather pants in at least 23 colors!
6. Moto Jackets: Get your hands on at least one leather moto jacket as soon as possible. The slimming cut will accentuate your curves, and its rocker-chic feel will add to your overall coolness. Extremely versatile, these jackets can be used with girlie dresses or distressed jeans with equal aplomb. If global chic women are to be believed, these pair rather well with maxis and florals.
You might also like: