by Aarti Kapur Singh
The latest Fall/Winter and Spring beauty trends are all about red lips, shimmer, glitter, dewy skin and false eyelashes. Let’s find out more about how to sport them!
Last season was all about extremes when it came to makeup – either it was too minimal or too futuristic. That is, the makeup that models sported on international runways was something not many of us would aspire to ape in real life. After we really appreciate beauty that can be replicated at home. In that regard, winter makeup trends for 2016 could be bold, but are certainly doable. And the best part, at home, without any fancy tools. All you could need is a little practice.
From the looks thus far, winter 2016 will be all about red lips, electric blue eyes, shimmer, glitter, dewy skin and false eyelashes. The New York Fashion Week saw berry lips and flushed cheeks – a trend that is big right now as well. Other than that, neutral, luminous, and strictly matte finish will keep you on top of the style charts.
1. Red Lips: Lips will be the point of focus. Red lipstick is classic, of course, but never have makeup artists been so united on the shade front as they were this season. Think Snow White – dewy skin and bright lips. Jason Wu and Dolce & Gabbana kept the finish satiny. Nina Ricci made it patent lacquer while DKNY chose a stay-in-place-all-night matte finish. So there is some red that everyone can do as long as you apply the lipstick with complete precision.2. Berry lips: For those who prefer elegance over shock value, berry lips are refreshingly feminine. Lip colours range from well-defined cherry and raspberry to smudged strawberry and even purple berry to wine and deep maroon shades. These can be worn for both day and evening. For day, flaunt a berry pout with just a hint of mascara and some bronze eye shadow. For glam evenings, wear berry lips with a subtly defined eye (or a deep smokey look) and deep contouring.
3. Blue Eyes: This is definitely not neutral and the most important question to ask is – ‘how do I wear this?’ The answer, considering the trend is so huge is – in any way you want. Whether as smokey with a navy twist, or a heavy eyeliner or a creative and edgy paint-like brush stroke. Just go blue!
4. Graphic Eyes: Go a notch above the classic cat eye by opting for a more straight and defined swipe of black kajal like we saw at Oscar de la Renta. This is a more modern way to wear liner that elongates and lifts the eye and adds intrigue to the face. You can also opt for the bold liner look in different colors. Use precise lines or freestyle shapes and even dashed off strokes – treat your peepers as a canvas. So long as it is big and bold, it is on trend. 5. No Blush: Well obviously, if the eyes and lips are to do the talking, ditch the bases and rule with the aces. For highlighting features, just a touch of illuminating foundation on the forehead, chin, or cheekbones – whatever part of your face that catches the light – should do the trick.
6. Flushed cheeks: No blush shouldn’t mean you look pale! Think flushed cheeks from exercising in the winter cold. Mix just a tiny touch of pigment with your moisturizer or illuminator and you are sorted.
7. Sparkles: Glitter and gold come to life with the old Hollywood looks given the latest fads. Sequins were added to the lids, creating a bit of a disco ball effect or shimmers that do double duty for the faint hearted – the glittery makeup trend uses metallic bronze, gold and silver eye shadows. The lids are the perfect place to add sparkles, glitter and starry elements. Sequins on the eyes and scattered across the parting line of the hair are great for a wedding or party.
8. Mascara and falsies: Mascara has been rediscovered after languishing in the shadows for a while. And it is not just black! Mary Katrantzou and Tod’s offered a rather unconventional aspect to the blue effect, taking on the cyan mascara and leaving the rest of the face in a bare or nearly bare stylization. Futuristic false lashes also appeared on the runways. The exaggerated lash looks are totally in as inspired by pretty dolls. Twiggy lashes were also rather popular.
You might also like: