Brides and bridesmaids are in love with our makeup artist series! So, here we are with Heema Dattani. She has all the skills that an ideal MUA should have!
Known for the reason why celebrities look so good onscreen, meet Heema Dattani, a Mumbai based makeup artist and an equally popular hairstylist. She started pretty young (at an age of 17) and has been trained under the most successful brands as well as makeup gurus in India and abroad, Toni & Guy and Bharat & Dorris to name a few. Heema is best known for her bridal makeup skills. She also does a lot of destination weddings. Let’s get to know a little more about her through a round of an interesting Q ‘n’ A:
1.What is a day in the life of Heema like?
My day starts with gratitude. I make sure to have some family time even if its a tight day. My work brings me a big fat smile of joy and contentment and the best part about it is that every new day is a different one from the previous one. It doesn’t follow a routine. Mandatory caffeine rushes, and scrolling through my inbox is a part of the routine. And, its a good night with my gratitude journal.
2. Have you always been a makeup artist? Did you have another career(s) before doing makeup full time?
I have always been a makeup artist, always will be so grateful for it.
3. What is the difference between applying makeup for a TV/film shoot and applying makeup for a bride?
Shoots demands constant touch-ups, whereas bridal makeup is a one-go-job. The shoots are usually very hectic and bridal makeup on the other hand is a two-hour job. These are some of the common differences and then of course the makeup looks are also different too (depending upon what the role demands).
4. Tell us a bit about your most memorable experience while working for a celebrity/client?
5. How well do you think you have been able to strike a balance between your work life and personal life?
6. What do you think about Indian beauty industry and how has it changed over a period of time?
I think the Indian beauty industry is just getting fabulous each and everyday. Whether it is a trend alert, or a product knowledge sort of thing or a specific makeup technique, the awareness is everywhere. After all, who doesn’t want to look good?
7. How would you describe your signature look and what is it about your style that sets you apart from other makeup artists?
My signature look lies in bridal makeup. As other projects demand makeup looks that depend on the character/ role. The gold eye with a tinge of glitter are my on-point bridal eyes. Fresh contoured rosy skin with a pop lip makes a beautiful bride.
8. What are some common beauty mistakes that women make?
- Skincare ignorance: Prepping your skin – this aspect of the daily beauty regime gets ignored by most of the women today, whereas it quite important. Prepping your skin makes a huge difference!
- Testing foundation shades on incorrect areas: Its a common practice..to use the back of your hand for a quick color-match, but it’s incorrect. The color pigments on the hand can be quite different from the ones on the face. Apply it on your jawline and get it right.
9. Who are some people that have inspired you throughout your career?
10. What advice would you like to give to someone who is aspiring to be a makeup artist?
An advice I would like to give to all our baby artists: A blank face, a clear field. Draw, color, scribble. The face is your canvas, throw in all your paints and make it your own. Despite all the challenges, one can still take it up as a career. Just love your work and it will love you right back.
To get in touch with Heema Dattani, please send an email at email@example.com and don’t forget to visit her Facebook page!
You might also like: