by Vaishali Sudan Sharma
Find out the major causes of dry lips and amazing home remedies to treat the same!
Change in weather can take a toll on our bodies. The most miserably effected part of the body- lips tend to gain unwanted attention around this time of the year. They get chapped (often cracked) as they lose moisture due to sun exposure or harsh climatic change. Why do lips get dry and chapped? Due to lack of humidity in the air, especially during the peak winter months is the major reason for dry-chapped lips. During summers, it happens because of excessive exposure to sun. So, here are 5 main reasons why lips get dry and chapped:
1. If you are in the habit of licking your lips way too much
2. Allergic reaction to something that doesn’t suit your skin
4. Vitamin deficiency (primarily Vitamin C)
5. And of course- weather change
And, how do you treat them? Most of us depend on cosmetics and beauty products such as lip balms that are available in the market. However, there are cost-effective ways to cure this problem. You can opt for DIY, homemade beauty recipes, such as:
1. Aloe Vera gel/ juice: One of the most effective remedies to treat dry, chapped lips is the application of Aloe Vera gel or juice extracted from this garden plant. Pluck an Aloe Vera leaf and tear it from one of it’s edges. Now rub it on your lips. The goodness of the gel/juice that oozes out from it treats the problem overnight. You can repeat the process depending on the severity of the dryness.
2. Cucumber: Cucumber whether eaten as a salad or applied on the skin during peak summers is way too relaxing. Besides, it is really a good food for skin. Crush the peeled, diced cucumber pieces to get fresh juice. Now apply it on your lips. Keep the coat on for about 10 minutes and you will see the difference.
3. Rose petals: One of the most easily available garden flower, make a thick paste of Indian rose petals. How do you do that? Well! By soaking them in milk for a few hours and then grinding the mixture. Now, apply this paste on chapped lips three to four times in a day. The lips shall stay moisturized and smell heavenly too!
4. Milk cream: Next time you boil cow or buffalo’s milk, make sure to save the high fat content which is left behind in the form of milk cream and use it to treat dry lips. It is a natural and an effective moisturizer. Leave it on for at least 5 minutes and then wash it off with luke warm water. The result is for you to experience first hand 🙂
5. Paste of sugar and honey: Prepare a mixture of sugar and honey. Half tablespoon sugar in one tablespoon honey. This is an amazing skin exfoliation remedy. Honey is a natural moisturizer full of anti-bacterial properties that treats chapped lips as effectively as the blemishes on the skin. When combined with good old – glycerin and left on the lips overnight leads to soft, supple ones in the morning. When combined with sugar, it works to exfoliate dead cells and to restore the natural softness of the lips.
One can also take help of castor/ mustard/ coconut oil, butter/ghee, glycerin to treat dry and chapped lips. So, now get beautiful, rosy lips be it when the sun is shining bright or the cold winter’s chilly breeze is blowing hard on your face!
You might also like: