by Vaishali Sudan Sharma
Take a look at 9 important wedding trousseau items for an Indian bride!
For any girl of marriageable age, her dream wedding shopping list is full of beautiful wishes. And, one day when she is about to get married, wedding shopping becomes the most awaited task! She asks for suggestions from the experienced lot about what sort of wedding outfit, jewelry, and makeup to be put together in her wedding trousseau. A trousseau is that treasured trunk that she carries with her to her husband’s house after the marriage.
So, Zuri has decided to help her a little. Here is a list of the 10 must-haves wedding trousseau items:
1. Jewelry: There’s nothing more charming and special than owning a beautiful antique and heirloom piece to your wedding trousseau. By choosing timeless pieces for your wedding jewelry, your wedding trousseau can be passed down from one generation to another. So, opt for classic styles such as a gold temple-style necklace, or a simple diamond choker!
2. Good Quality Cosmetics: A to-be-bride needs to be careful when it comes to shopping for makeup for her vanity box! The trick is to not to opt for bright bridal colors! If reds and crimsons have never suited your complexion, then chances are that you will never wear those shades ever! Also, don’t buy unnecessary makeup items just because you are the bride. Most to-be-brides commit the mistake of picking up cosmetics which are either too loud or have never been tried before. In such cases, most of the things they buy never get touched, and before they know it, these makeup items have reached their expiry date. The key is to just purchase a few basic shades of lipsticks, nail polishes, eyeshadows (for day and night time), a couple of blushes, mascara, eyeliner (black and brown suits Indian eyes), and kohl pencils that suit your skin type and complexion. Don’t forget to carry a veil of sindoor (vermillion). We recommend opting for a liquid sindoor bottle.
3. Chic Clutch: No outfit is complete without a handbag or a clutch which can carry your handset, a shade of lipstick and comb. Zuri recommends sticking to three three colors which are versatile- black, gold and silver. A golden clutch can perfectly match your heavily embroidered silk saree, while a black one can look super sexy with an LBD or an outfit which requires you to wrap yourself with a black stole/shawl. A silver clutch can be teamed-up with any outfit which has silver thread-work or sequins! So, you see, you don’t need to really have multiple colored clutches. Besides, they come in handy even with an Indo-western or a typically westernized outfit such as a gown or a pair of jeans.
4. Silk Saree: Who says a modern bride’s trousseau trunk should only be packed with the latest and trendy clothing items? Besides, who says a like saree is so out-dated? Most Indian fashion designers are bringing silks back in fashion and how? In fact, a silk saree is one of the most sensual attires of all times. Team it up with a halter neck to look dapper no matter how you drape it or go for a long-sleeve blouse for an elegant-traditional look!
5. Heels and flats: A pair of each is an absolute must-have! While heels look fab, you cannot always be wearing them. For your daily wear needs, you got to own a pair of comfortable flats too. Moreover, these days there are such gorgeous flats available in the market. Ballerinas with embroidery, zardozi work, phulkari and even sequins! So, girls, go for something traditional yet chic that goes well with all your suits and western outfits as well. Again the rule to be applied while purchasing footwear is to have at least 3 basic colors:- black, silver and golden (red and white can be an add-on)!
6. Little Black Dress: For the post-wedding parties, romantic dinners, clubbing night outs or those special candle light dinners, you will need an LBD to amp up your fashion statement! And as they say, you can never go wrong with that little black dress and red peep toe heels!
7. Shawls/ Stoles: The great Indian wedding season for most of us is about winter dressing. So, as soon as a new bride gets married, she is invited to lunches and dinners which means keeping oneself warm and cozy. That’s why one of the must-have trousseau items is a shawl/ stole. From Pashmina shawls to handwoven-Kutch embroidered ones to wool knitted stoles, elegantly draping a shawl or a stole around a stylish saree, suit or a western outfit can complete your look in those terribly cold winter-months.
8. Stylish Blouses: Who doesn’t like to sport an unconventional or a traditional saree-look with a stylish blouse? At times, one blouse can go well with several sarees. With a stylish cut, you can amp up your style statement and also flaunt your sexy back. Not to forget, deep cuts in blouses are the latest trend these days!
9. Comfortable Western Wear: Today’s modern-age bride can get a little too irritated with the traditional outfits! And she knows that nothing complements her body more than a pair of slim-fit (or not) jeans. For a casual brunch date with the husband, just team it up with a casual T-shirt and chic flats and you are ready to roll.
You might also like: